Flaws are the miracle and the beauty of being human and the value of each person cannot, ultimately, be quantified. The discipline and protocols of scientific inquiry enable us to create technologies that measure, enhance, inhibit and 're-direct' physical and cognitive development. As water finds its way over, under, and around obstacles, life always seems finds a way to remain mysterious in its adaptations and spirit.
As a graduate student in the 1970's studying severely 'flawed', multiply handicapped children, I learned alot about the miracle and resiliancy of the human spirit; no quantifying the courage and humor and light I saw inside these 'creatively wired' kids...... Rapid advances in diagnostic and neurotechnologies are teaching us how to identify developmental anomalies and locate specific areas of brain function and behavior. How far should we go on this 'road less traveled'? How much are we our 'brain biology'. I honestly don't believe that any one of us can decide what the developmental trajectory of another human should be. I hope the individual human 'spirit' will remain elusive, and a miracle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment